Friday 8 April 2011

The Stupidity of Foxtons Estate Agent

Here is an email exchange where I thought I was quite specific in my needs and I think he just wanted a sale and/or hates his job. His name isn't actually Mr X but I wanted to change it so they don't sue me. It doesn't ruin the story if the links don't work.

Subject: Foxton Properties
From: Mr X @foxtons.co.uk
To: aj_saxon1@hotmail.com

Hi AJ,

Thanks for your recent inquiry for a property search.

Please give me a call when you are available to discuss how I can help you with your search.



Mr X
Short Lets Negotiator
Canary Wharf Lettings, Foxtons
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

From: AJ Saxon [mailto:aj_saxon1@hotmail.com]
To: Mr X
Subject: RE: Foxton Properties



Hi,

I am very busy at the moment and have about 30 agencies wanting to call me, most of whom don't actually have any suitable properties. It's almost like they just like talking to me.

Anyway if you have any properties that match the description below then please send them over and I can call you if I am interested.

1-2 Bedrooms
London Bridge, Tower Hill, Wapping, Waterloo, Canary Wharf (Not Elephant and castle or south Bermondsey or anywhere I am likely to get stabbed)
£300 top end budget
2 people (Myself and my girlfriend)
No need for parking
Garden or Balcony would be nice but not a deal breaker
Furnished


Many thanks

AJ

 _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Subject: RE: Foxton Properties
From: Mr X @foxtons.co.uk
To: aj_saxon1@hotmail.com

Hi AJ,



Many thanks for registering your interest.



We several properties in Canary Wharf, Wapping and London Bridge.



However as the market is very busy due to Royal Wedding, Internships and Olympics next year, properties come on and off our register very quickly. I can send you links but by the time you get round to view the property chances are it will be gone as we have hundreds of people looking in the same areas as yourself.



When are you looking to move and when it is possible to arrange a viewing?



Kind Regards,



------------------------------------
Mr X
Short Lets Negotiator
Canary Wharf Lettings, Foxtons

 _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

From: AJ Saxon [mailto:aj_saxon1@hotmail.com]
To: Mr X
Subject: RE: Foxton Properties



Mr X,

My lease is technically up at the end of this month, however we have asked for a one month extension due to my girlfriend being in the middle of changing jobs. My land lady is a unhelpful woman to say the least and I am sure this one month extension will not be granted. So probably the end of April but could be the end of May.

I work in sales so I understand the procedure of get the client face to face and they are a lot more likely to be convinced to buy. I am fairly stubborn and there are at least 30 agents sending me things. Much as I would love to spend an afternoon driving in a Foxtons mini from unsuitable property to unsuitable property being pressured into making a decision with phrases like 'It only gets more expensive as the year goes on' and 'The Olympics are coming', I think I would rather spend 3 minutes reviewing the property online so I can make an informed decision.

If it is too much trouble to copy and paste a link from your browser to your email then press send then I am sure I can either speak to one of the other 300 blood thirsty sales people in your office who might be willing to do this simple task. Or I could just deal with one of the other many agencies who seem to fill my inbox with (mainly unsuitable) links to properties.

Thanks

AJ

 _______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Subject: RE: Foxton Properties
From: Mr X @foxtons.co.uk
To: aj_saxon1@hotmail.com

Hi AJ,

Please see links attached of properties on our register for the area you looking in but please bear in mind that there are a lot of applicants that have similar requirements as yourself and the properties may not be available when you get round to viewing.

Wapping

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-wapping/chpk3398098 -  Vacant

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-wapping/chpk0285553 - Available 24/5

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-wapping/chpk1215611 - Vacant

Tower Bridge Wharf, 86 St Katharines Way, E1W 1UR – New instruction, no photographs available yet, is modern 2bedroom, river views at £475pw coming available 1st July, viewing are already being conducted.

Canary Wharf

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-isle-of-dogs/chpk3290050 - Vacant

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-poplar/chpk3399997 - Available 1/7 <http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-poplar/chpk3399997%20-%20Available%201/7>

Lockview Court, 67 Narrow Street, E14 8EN – New instruction 1 bedroom, viewing already being conducted

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-docklands/chpk0256557 Available 1/6 <http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-docklands/chpk0256557%20Available%201/6>

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-isle-of-dogs/chpk3288316 Available 1/6

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-limehouse/chpk3295147 - Available 25/5

http://www.foxtons.co.uk/rental-property-in-canary-wharf/chpk0282901 - Available 17/5


Kind Regards,
------------------------------------
Mr X
Short Lets Negotiator
Canary Wharf Lettings, Foxtons

 _______________________________________________________________________________________________________


From: AJ Saxon [mailto:aj_saxon1@hotmail.com]
To: Mr X
Subject: RE: Foxton Properties

Mr X,

Well I am glad I followed my instinct and didn't just wildly book viewings with you. Having looked at your list of 'suitable' properties I found myself checking through my sent mail to confirm that I had actually sent you a list of criteria in which I want this flat to fall. I notice on your list that certain properties were available in July which would be great and highly useful had I not informed you that my lease was up at the end of this month and we may be able to stay till next month.

Secondly, not one of the properties were below £350 with some being as high as £475! That is an extra £759 a month in rent. I am not sure what the thought process is when selecting properties. Whether you just look at a post code area and send everything or if you don't even read what you send over. What would possess someone to add over 50% to somebody's budget?

As I stated earlier, I work in sales. I am actually quite good and do well for myself. This may not be reflected in my rental budget but I am a firm believer that one should not spend much more than is absolutely necessary on rental. However, the reason I am successful and have been for over 10 years is that I listen to my customer/potential client. I do not just send them details of things in the blind hope that one of them sticks as I haven't done my research and therefore have no clue what they want. I would rather an estate agent told me they had nothing available that fits my criteria rather than just ignoring my criteria and sending over the first thing they stumbled across on their website.

So, in summary, if you have nothing that actually fits the bill then please could you just refrain from sending anything. I am sure in your line of work you get quite excited looking at properties you have no intention of living in. Whereas for me this is purely a means to an end, a mundane task that needs doing ever 12-18 months.

Many thanks

AJ

1 comment:

  1. Did you forget that your step brother actually owns a letting agency in London Bridge?

    ReplyDelete